5 Healthy Holiday Tips for Cancer Patients & Caregivers
5 Quick Tips for Cancer Care Over the Holidays and Beyond…
No doubt about it, dealing with cancer is never easy, but especially over the holidays. We all need some quick and easy tips and strategies to help us keep it together – and some inspiration to guide us along the way. Right?
Well, I just wanted to share with you 5 top tips that my patients and clients and I have used over the years that really work! And I’ll keep this brief since I realize that everyone is hustling to get things done before the onslaught of family and friends arrive over the next day or so.
- We’ve all heard the saying about living today as if it’s the last day we have.Well, for many of us who’ve been on the cancer journey, that actually became a reality! At least temporarily until we beat the sucker! So my advice is to stop living by everyone else’s rules and start creating your own. Choose where you want to be, when you want to be there, who you want to be with, and for how long. And if you need to skip a meal or a social gathering because you’re tired and need a nap just do it! If you’re feeling pain, sadness, fear, or even joy, just go ahead and FEEL it! This is your life. Live it your way…Without apology
- Add some fun and creativity to your life.Take a favorite traditional, high fat, high sugar, holiday recipe, and re-invent it into a healthier leaner version. I have posted my fabulously delicious, trimmed down eggnog recipe on Facebook, so drop on by and print it off – and use it. And then take one recipe you love and make it better – for your health! And of course tasty at the same time!
- Practice gratitude – for everything! My rule whenever life becomes too hectic and stressful over the holidays is to simply stop everything. And then gaze out the window at the miracles of nature all around us, especially the cloud formations (see the photo to the right), and express gratitude to God and the Universe for providing this beauty for us to behold. Another quick strategy is to write 5 things we’re grateful for in that very moment into a gratitude journal.
- Take care of YOU! By all means have a treat here and there…but overall, make really healthy choices so that you can keep your immune system functioning optimally despite the added holiday stress. And make sure you get off your seat and onto your feet and take a walk around the block. Exercise is a great tension and stress reliever during this hectic season. And gift yourself with a long luxurious bath while reading your favorite book and munching on some yummy veggies and hummus. Heck, add a glass of really good wine as well. Pamper yourself. You deserve these special moments.
- Enlist the support of your friends and family to help you get things done, e.g. drive you where you need to go, organize any holiday gatherings, help with meal preparation and clean-up, shop for you, pick up the kids or grandkids, decorate the tree and/or your house, make calls for you, drop clothes off at the dry cleaners and pick them up later…whatever neds to get done. This is no time to be a martyr and try to do everything yourself at the expense of your health and recovery!
For more quick tips you can click on the following 2 links: 1) http://www.aweber.com/b/5tIks
And 2): http://archive.aweber.com/kcitctss/AaBh6
NOTE: In the first link (http://www.aweber.com/b/5tIks) there was a issue with the following link in the third paragraph from the top: “…If you think there’s no cure for cancer and disease in general, this film will definitely rock your boat! http://bit.ly/TheCureIsMovie”
Though this lnk will take you to the site for “The Cure Is” movie, it apparently doesn’t take you to the FREE viewing of the movie that is available until the end of the month. That link is: http://thecureismovie.com/?page_id=213
I’m wishing you the Happiest Healthiest & Most Joyful Holiday Season!
Dr Marilyn Joyce, The Vitality Doctor™
PS: Drop by and visit us at our dedicated Facebook book, LIKE us and then share the love and supportive information with everyone you care about: Kick Cancer In The Can™